Is there an equivalent of the W3c HTML checker for SQL?

От David Goodenough
Тема Is there an equivalent of the W3c HTML checker for SQL?
Дата
Re: Is there an equivalent of the W3c HTML checker for SQL?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-general
This may seem like a question unrelated to Postgresql, but I have recently
noticed a project that is having a discussion about how their code should
be developed.  They are (unfortunately) developing first with MySQL, because
that is what they are familiar with (I assume), but that inevitably leads
to have to backfit changes when they later come to support other DBs (like
Postgresql).

The W3C checker gives a quick check to catch as many as possible of the
browser dependancies, so that they can be avoided during the development
cycle rather than after it.  I was wondering if something similar exists
in the SQL world.

It would be great if I could persuade them to move to Postgresql as their
development platform, but that is unlikely.  Such a checker would mean
that support of other DBs would be much easier rather than being a big
effort.

If it makes life easier, this project is a Java one, using JDBC.

David