Re: GUID/UUID Support

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: GUID/UUID Support
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 01:09:15PM -0500, Jeremy Haile wrote:
> I second the desire for a UUID type in PostgreSQL!  I'm aware of the
> pguuid project, but it's not the same as having it in core and isn't
> very well maintained.

Yeah, but it's not going to be added to core until there's some
agreement about *what* needs to be added. The point of the external
project is that once it has acheived a level of support *then* it can
be incorporated.

> This is such a common database paradigm that it seems reasonable to
> promote it to first-class citizen status in PostgreSQL.

It would be helpful if people who wanted UUIDs used the existing
projects and pointed any problems so that they can be dealt with.
Only then would there be a chance of getting it into the core.

> I currently use varchars for UUIDs, but the table size, index size,
> integrity (validation), and performance would be better if PostgreSQL
> supported UUIDs directly.

Obviously the benefits are not so great given you don't use one of the
existing UUID types...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения