Re: Backup

От Eduardo J. Ortega
Тема Re: Backup
Дата
Re: Backup
Список pgsql-admin
Hi:

Well, I don't really like the fact that admin has to specify the archiving and
restoring command; an error here (a lack of -i in cp, for example) may render
the backup useless. In addition, the backup is performed only everytime the
WAL file is filled; i need to take consistent backups every hour or so, and I
am not sure if that time represents more or less than a WAL file ( i could
still measure that, i guess). Finally, as I understand, the WAL backup method
works like this:
1) Take full base FS backup
2) get some way to copy WAL files

If this is it, then I'll end up with an old level zero (i.e. full, base )
backup and A LOT of level 1 (i.e. transaction log) backup. I think it should
be more like it's for Informix, where you ask the database to perform an
online level 0 backup (base); after this, it stores transaction logs on disk,
which you can archive with level 1 backup. Then, say everyonce in a week, you
get another level 0 backup, and the database clears the already-archived logs
from disk and starts all over.

I guess this could be achieved with PG, but it requieres considerably more
steps (pg_start_backup, pg_stop_backup, manually cleaning old log files which
could be an error point), or I am getting something wrong. Besides, why do
you need to tell the database to stop the backup? shouldn't it stop by itself
when there's no more information to be archived?

Perhaps if any of you has this method working, you could provide me with your
archiving and restoring commands as well as a description of the whole
process the way you implemented it.

Thanks,

Eduardo.