BUG #2804: Incorrect encoding of comment in backup of UTF8 database

От Marcin Waldowski
Тема BUG #2804: Incorrect encoding of comment in backup of UTF8 database
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs

Bug reference:      2804
Logged by:          Marcin Waldowski
Email address:      M.Waldowski@sulechow.net
PostgreSQL version: 8.1.5
Operating system:   Windows XP SP2 (polish version)
Details:

When I make a backup of UTF8 database then pg_dump add some comment to
backup file:

-- Started on 2006-11-30 16:01:15 srodkowoeuropejski czas stand.

'Srodkowoeuropejski czas stand.' means in polish 'centraleuropean standard
time'. Unfortunately first letter of 'srodkowoeuropejski' is our national
letter which is similar to 's' and it is encoded incorretly in UTF8. It
makes following error during restore:

pg_restore: connecting to database for restore

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error while INITIALIZING:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] could not execute query: ERROR:  invalid byte
sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x8c

HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match the
encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by "client_encoding".

    Command was:--

-- PostgreSQL database dump

--

-- Started on 2006-11-30 16:01:15 srodkowoeuropejski czas stand.