Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Nov 19, 2006 at 12:01:15PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 11:28 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Tom,
> >
> > > Let's go with the easy fix. With regular 1GB segment size,
> > > having a few empty files in the data directory isn't going to
> > > hurt anyone.
> >
> > No, but it will confuse DBAs ("What the heck are all these 0B
> > files?").  Maybe we should add code to VACUUM to look for these
> > empty file segments and unlink them if they haven't been touched
> > in a while (say, a day?).
>
> I don't buy this argument. A smart DBA isn't going to do any such
> thing.  If you go around deleting unknown files you deserve
> everything you get.  Especially if you are in the middle of a
> PostgreSQL cluster tree.

A mention in the README in that directory wouldn't hurt, tho.

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666                             Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!

Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug