Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug  ("Florian G. Pflug" <fgp@phlo.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 2006-11-19 at 11:28 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Tom,
>
> > Let's go with the easy fix. With regular 1GB segment size, having a few
> > empty files in the data directory isn't going to hurt anyone.
>
> No, but it will confuse DBAs ("What the heck are all these 0B files?").  Maybe
> we should add code to VACUUM to look for these empty file segments and unlink
> them if they haven't been touched in a while (say, a day?).

I don't buy this argument. A smart DBA isn't going to do any such thing.
If you go around deleting unknown files you deserve everything you get.
Especially if you are in the middle of a PostgreSQL cluster tree.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Providing the most comprehensive  PostgreSQL solutions since 1997            http://www.commandprompt.com/

Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug
Сообщение: Re: Nasty VACUUM/bgwriter/segmentation bug