Re: Index ignored with "is not distinct from", 8.2 beta2

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Index ignored with "is not distinct from", 8.2 beta2
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Nov 07, 2006 at 11:03:42AM +0100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 09:10:40PM -0500, JEAN-PIERRE PELLETIER wrote:
> > I understand that the planner doesn't use indexes for IS NOT DISTINCT FROM,
> > but it would
> > be good because "is not distinct from" is very useful when you have nulls
> > but don't want to use three value logic.
>
> The main issue is that currently indexes cannot be used to find NULLs
> in a table. Patches have been created that cover most index types, but
> it's not part of the main distribution.

I assume you're referring to
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-09/msg00083.php ?

I'm curious as to the status of that patch... presumably it never made
it into the queue, but I'm not sure why since you seemed to address
Tom's concerns (other than not indexing IS NOT NULL, which I'm not sure
is all that useful...)