Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...

От Leif B. Kristensen
Тема Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Monday 30. October 2006 10:31, Ashley Moran wrote:
>On 30 Oct 2006, at 06:15, Nikolay Samokhvalov wrote:
>> Could you please give some example of such "inspired by MySQL
>> features of PHP design"?
>
>Sorry... perhaps I should have wrapped my comment in <sarcasm
>bitterness="10"/> </sarcarsm> to make it more clear what I meant.  I
>didn't mean that MySQL literally inspired features of PHP (maybe it
>did?) - just that the <sarcasm bitterness="10"/>clean, elegant nature
>of PHP seems taken from MySQL</sarcarsm>.

I don't find it particularly hard to write clean code in PHP. But then,
most of my PHP codebase involves two inbuilt functions: pg_query() and
echo. The more PHP code I write, the more do I find that almost all of
it can be reduced to those two commands. But of course, I write a lot
of wrappers and abstractions on top of it.

I do most of my internal database logic as views and functions in
PostgreSQL, which can be easily interfaced with some very innocent
looking queries from PHP.

Writing PHP to interface with (at least pre-5.0) MySQL is quite another
matter, because you have to incorporate so much of the db logic in PHP.
I won't touch that combination again if it can be helped.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE