postgres in HA constellation

От Sebastian Reitenbach
Тема postgres in HA constellation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi all,

I want to use postgres, combined with postgis, in a high available
configuration to store spatial data. I will have tens of millions, or even
more, of datasets in the database. so the database will be fairly large and
consume a lot of disk space. Therefore I thought to have a shared storage.

the HA postgres Howto states following possibilities:
- backup/restore with pg_dump/pg_restore (the process took, with a test
  database on a fairly fast computer, about one or two days, way too long)
- rsync, but I doubt that this will work in my case
- rserv, replication script

the most promising, in an active/passvie HA configuration seems to be the
rserv script. Unfortunately there was not much info about it in the HOWTO.

furthermore I found LifeKeeper, a commercial monitor to use with Postgresql in
a HA environment.
http://www.openminds.co.uk/high_availability_solutions/databases/postgresql.htm

something I thought that might work:
is there sth. that will repair an inconsisten postgresql datastore? e.g. the
master database died, the slave will mount the storage, then repair it in a
reasonable time, and then start to work.

I assume having postgres running in a shared storage environment, with a

are there any other possibilities that might work that I am not aware of?
anybody has experiences with postgres in a HA environment with shared storage?

any hint is greatly appreciated

kind regards
Sebastian