Re: About docbot

От David Fetter
Тема Re: About docbot
Дата
Список pgsql-www
On Fri, Sep 22, 2006 at 01:08:20PM +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > Sounds iffy to me.   Lending the hostname makes this an official
> > > (or officially endorsed) thing.  Would it be branded and such
> > > the same as the main website?
>
> Also, we have been working hard to *decrease* the number of distinct
> websites in the PostgreSQL domain. So please let's try to avoid
> adding another one if we can.
>
> Now, *assuming* this is a service that we want on the main site (I'm
> not taking position on that yet, but it does seem pretty nifty),
> wouldn't the logical place be to have it on
> http://search.postgresql.org, along with the standard search?

That sounds like a plan :)

> Maybe even to the point of delivering docbot search results at the
> top of the results, over the general search ones, based on the fact
> that it's common keyword searching.

Integrating it would be nice, too. :)

> Where does it actually *live* today? Meaning where is the database
> located, where does the IRC bot run, etc?

Daniel (Primer) Ceregatti hosts the database on sh.nu, and Andreas
(ads) Scherbaum hosts the bot code on base.wars-nicht.de.  Both could
change if needed.

> > > How is content controlled and would we have any ability to make
> > > sure the image and content agrees with how the project presents
> > > itself?
> >
> > So far (3 years, give or take) there have been just two
> > controversial URLs: one for fsm which pointed to venganza.org,
> > which I removed at Jan Wieck's request on grounds of its political
> > nature, and one for google which contains an unromantic
> > Saxon-derived word denoting lovemaking, which is still there as
> > far as I know.
>
> Given that it's not open-access-write, I don't see how this would be
> any more different than other content we have - we have even less
> control over what goes into http://archives.postgresql.org for
> example, and we can always do post-case cleanups.
>

> //Magnus

phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!