Re: Postgresql 7.4 migration to (partially) new disks

От Achilleas Mantzios
Тема Re: Postgresql 7.4 migration to (partially) new disks
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Στις Παρασκευή 15 Σεπτέμβριος 2006 17:47, ο/η Tom Lane έγραψε:
> Achilleas Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com> writes:
> > What considerations should someone take if he is about to just
> > cp -r <path_to_some_other_pgsql_data_path>/data .
> > .i.e. creating the PGDATA dir *not* following the standard initdb
> > procedure
>
> If you copy the *entire* data tree (data, xlog, clog, any outside
> tablespaces), and use exactly the same Postgres executables at both
> ends, then it should pretty much Just Work.

Thats what i feared from the begining. (some connection between the data dir
and the executable, really, why does the executable need to be exactly the
same,
if we are talking about minor postgresql upgrade 7.4.12->7.4.13?)

The old system is kind of old, and there would be libraries
incompatibilities if a was to retain the old executable.

So i'll do it the formal way, and pray lotus notes will behave :)
Thanx.

--
Achilleas Mantzios