Re: read only transaction, temporary tables

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: read only transaction, temporary tables
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Tom Lane wrote:
> Richard Huxton <dev@archonet.com> writes:
> > Carl R. Brune wrote:
> >> I should have added that I want to make further use of the
> >> temporary table after the COMMIT -- the rollback approach you
> >> propose makes it go away.
> >
> > In which case the transaction isn't READONLY.
>
> It does seem a bit inconsistent that we allow you to write into a
> temp table during a "READONLY" transaction, but not to create/drop
> one. I'm not excited about changing it though, as the tests to see if
> the command is allowed would become vastly more complex.

Temporary tables in the SQL standard are permanent objects, which is why
creating or dropping them is a durable operation and not allowed in
read-only transactions.  It would probably make sense to allow creating
or dropping PostgreSQL-style temporary tables, though.

--
Peter Eisentraut