Re: 8.2 features status

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 8.2 features status
Дата
Re: 8.2 features status
Список pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >> Maybe the connection is that while thinking about processes, we need
> >> to take into account the need to encourage people to get early
> >> feedback about what they are considering doing.
> >
> > We say that clearly in the developer's FAQ, but it seems it is not
> > enough.
>
> I just read the developer's FAQ, and just so were all honest I never had
> before. :). The developers FAQ is actually quite useful, and helpful
> except for this one part:
>

> Outstanding features are detailed in the TODO list. This is located in
> doc/TODO in the source distribution or at
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html.
>
> You can learn more about these features by consulting the archives, the
> SQL standards and the recommend texts (see 1.10).
>
> No one wants to consult the archives. Nor do I believe they should have
> to. I want a link, directly off the TODO line item that states specific
> references on one page of what is requested. This is where the wiki
> comes in.

We now have URLs on the TODO list to the archives, and the next FAQ item
is:
   <H3 id="item1.4">1.4) What do I do after choosing an item to   work on?</H3>
   <P>Send an email to pgsql-hackers with a proposal for what you want   to do (assuming your contribution is not
trivial).Working in

so it is clear what we want people to do.

> It would also be useful to have possible dependencies. I recently saw
> a patch come across from Sun, that Tom commented on, something about
> increase the size of some value to 64bit. I don't recall exactly.
>
> Tom's comments although valid (as usual :)) were that the person missed
> a bunch of stuff having to do with the planner.
>
> Some of us may think... well of course that is obvious...
>
> Well either the Sun guy was just lazy, or it isn't obvious. I prefer to
> think it is not obvious.
>
> From Bruce's perspective this actually doesn't add too much to the
> workload. Generate the link, possibly paste some archive urls into the
> wiki and then someone can come behind and clean up.

I am keeping URLs in the TODO list.  Why don't people submit
improvements to the TODO list, rather than adding more complexity by
making a separate wiki for every TODO item?  If no one updates the TODO
item, what makes you think they are going to do somethin in a wiki?

I think the big conclusion we made long ago is that We are never going
to have enough detail anywhere that someone is going to be able to work
on an item without asking the community.