Re: Restoring dtabase problem

От Ivo Rossacher
Тема Re: Restoring dtabase problem
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Am Freitag, 4. August 2006 19.06 schrieb Benjamin Krajmalnik:
> I am trying to restore a database from a pg_dump.
> I have a problematic issue in that a few rows have a problem with UTF-8
> encoding.
> All of these rows are in a specific table.
> Is there something I can run against the table which will validate the
> rows which have the bad data and delete the rows?

Typically this issue is related to a low number of invalid characters comming
up a lot of time in the file. So I would replace the invalid codes with the
correct unicode character by a text editor (take care to choose the correct
encoding in the editor). In the context of the rest of the text it becomes
mostly clear what the correct unicode character should be.

> The database is quite large (8GB) and I was informed that it would be
> much faster to restore using the COPY method as opposed to the INSERT
> method.

This is correct, but has to be done when dumping (see man pg_dump -> options
-d -D). 8GB, well this will take quite some time with inserts ...

Regards
Ivo