Re: %Alter Help

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: %Alter Help
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 04:55:40PM -0500, KyLiE wrote:
> Hi all, I have a new question, know i'm trying to alter one of my
> tables,but the thing is, that I need to change the range of one of my
> columns, I've allready try this:
>
> ALTER TABLE lugar alter column sitio varchar2(500);
>
> but it gives me a syntax error. and i don't know why.

What's the exact error message and what version of PostgreSQL are
you running?  At least three things could be contributing to the
error:

1. The syntax for altering a column's type is

   ALTER [ COLUMN ] column TYPE type [ USING expression ]

   The command you showed is missing the word "TYPE".

2. Altering a column's type is supported only in PostgreSQL 8.0 and
   later; if you're using 7.4 or earlier then you'll need to perform
   the steps shown in the FAQ:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ.html#item4.3

3. PostgreSQL doesn't have a builtin varchar2 type.  Unless you've
   added varchar2 then use varchar instead.

Try this:

ALTER TABLE lugar ALTER COLUMN sitio TYPE varchar(500);

--
Michael Fuhr