Re: Version/Change Management of functions?

От Roman Neuhauser
Тема Re: Version/Change Management of functions?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
# mloftis@wgops.com / 2006-07-07 14:08:08 -0600:
> --On July 7, 2006 12:35:53 PM +0000 Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@sigpipe.cz>
> wrote:
>
> ># mloftis@wgops.com / 2006-07-06 22:41:27 -0600:
> >>OK I know this is an odd question but I'm working on an app that will
> >>rely  more and more on database driven functions, and while the app's
> >>source is  in SVN, and I intend for the source of the SQL scripts to
> >>also be there, I  was wondering...what are people doing for version
> >>control and change  management on their custom (esp PL/pgSQL and say
> >>PL/Perl) functions?
> >
> >    Well, "people" use a version control system.
> >
> >    Do you have any specific questions?
>
> Yes, how exactly do you use it.  Since there's no way to directly control
> whats in the DB via a VCS, further, how do you verify that what is in the
> DB is also in the VCS, etc?

    Simply: there's no "the DB".  Developers have no access to the
    customer installation(s), and putting things into the VCS is the
    only way for them to produce code, which includes DDL. What's not
    in the VCS (or generaged during the release process from tools that
    are tracked) cannot be installed from the tarball.

    Whether you produce releases for general consumption like
    the PostgreSQL project does or your installed base consists of
    a single web server, whether you produce tarballs or run "svn up"
    on the single Apache box: that's an irrelevant detail of the release
    process.

    Each release should contain DDL/DML needed to upgrade the database
    from the previous release. The developer who wants to change the
    schema must provide the ALTER statements.

You don't know, man.  You don't KNOW.