Re: postgresql live-cd

От Robert Bernier
Тема Re: postgresql live-cd
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 14 June 2006 13:25, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Koen,
>
> > Introducing myself: Koen Martens, the person who took up the task of
> > creating a live cd containing (at least) postgresql and pgadmin3, to
> > be handed out on conferences (http://pgfoundry.org/projects/livecd/).
>
> OK, you are now an admin of the project.

congratulations ;-)

> Also, a user sent me a note that Lampix CD distro already contains
> PostgreSQL: http://lamppix.tinowagner.com/en/mini/ ....

Now there's the challenge, what's it going to do this live CD?

The damn small linux version made it truly a pain when I hacked the system to
install the necesary tools. Does lamppix, for example, still have enough of
the apt package system present to allow bringing other tools and honour
library updates (it too is based upon the damn small distro)?

I've been thinking of bootstrapping xubuntu since I know that the libraries
haven't been hacked thus making system updates for new hardware possible.
however, there is tedious work ahead eliminating packages and reducing the
size.

On the other hand, I like the idea of creating it from scratch because then
I'm guarenteed of a small distro with only the barest of stuff present.

May I suggest the starting point be with pg_live. Look at what it has and
debate the issues from there.

cheers

robert bernier
    (creator of pg_live)