Re: pg_clog questions

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: pg_clog questions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Gourish Singbal wrote:
> Wanted to know when is the feature of automatically removing the  unwanted
> pg_clog files going to be implemented in postgresql ...
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/interactive/wal-benefits-later.html
>
> this link is not present in 8.1.4 docs ...

Well, we certainly do remove unneeded pg_clog files -- that's why yours
were removed after you vacuumed all databases that needed them.

We just need a better way of marking them as no longer needed.

That section was removed from the docs because it was no longer
relevant.  All features mentioned there are either implemented or
considered not going to ever be implemented (e.g. UNDO).

> >But still these were too many files hence decide to peform vacuum freeze
> >on template1 and postgres databases. on finishing .. checked the pg_clog
> >dir
> >and found that there was just one file there
> >
> >drwx------  10 postgres wheel    632 2006-05-25 23:15 ..
> >drwx------   2 postgres wheel     72 2006-05-25 23:20 .
> >-rw-------   1 postgres wheel 172032 2006-05-25 23:35 016C
> >
> >and if i am not mistaken this is the only file that the postgres is using
> >at this time.

This is the file that your databases need, which is why it's the only
file that remained.