Re: GUI Interface

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: GUI Interface
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 02:02:27PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Scott Marlowe wrote:
> > >
> > > And to follow up on this, I just saw that Tom Lane, Buddha guru of
> > > PostgreSQL runs a Powerbook ;)
> >
> > Now now, he didn't say it was his.  Could be his mother's...
> >
> > (ducks to avoid tomato thrown by Bruce...)
>
> I remember he got some type of Mac laptop while he was at Greatbridge,
> but when they went bust, the parent company didn't know what to do with
> a Mac, so they let him keep it.  (I didn't use a laptop at the time.)
> Might be the same one.
>
> Anyway, it would make an interesting reason for choosing a Mac.  I can
> see the commerical now.  :-)
>
> I actually use a laptop running XP.  I got it for the Win32 port, and
> because I use putty/ssh, Mozilla, and Gaim 99% of the time, it doesn't
> matter what OS I use.  I could install a unix on it, but there seems to
> be no need because all my unix work is done on my server via ssh.

I was prepared to hate OS X and it's silly one-button-ness, but I bought
a 17" powerbook anyway, because to me that's what a laptop should be;
plenty of screen real estate but also thin and light.

Then I started using OS X and came to realize (to quote from Jurasic
Park) "this is unix, I know this!"

Granted, when it comes to administration it's a fair bit different, but
I think OS X is about the best desktop environment a unix geek could ask
for. All the tools you've grown accustomed to are right there and work
just fine. No need to even ssh anywhere for them.