Re: Error in MS Access

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Error in MS Access
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, May 15, 2006 at 02:55:04PM -0500, Xu, Xiaoyi (Rocky) FSM wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I will find out the detailed version. Meanwhile /home0 is around 8.6 GB.
> I don't know how large the DB is. Which file or which command I should
> look for? About vacuuming, I don't know either. Can I do vacuuming while
> making DB online? I am helping an internal department whose IT person
> left and for 5 months no one ever managed this Solaris box. All of
> sudden database users began to experience problems with an in-house
> application.

If it's anything newer than 7.2 (and I really hope it's a *lot* newer
than that), then yes, you can vacuum without locking users out. I know
that at some point you couldn't do that, but I don't know how long ago
that was since I started using PostgreSQL at version 7.2.

I suspect that no one has been vacuuming the database and that it now
has scads of dead rows. It's surprising users haven't been screaming
about it being slow before now if that's the case.

If you search for 'vacuum' at
http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/instantkb13/search.aspx you'll find
some articles that might help you.