Re: Terminating Idle Connections

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: Terminating Idle Connections
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

Chris,

In a shell script, you could do a “ps auxwww|grep ‘idle in transaction’” which would give you a list of all processes with a status of “idle in transaction.”  Then run through each line of the output, use “awk” to find the process id, and issue a “kill <pid>” to each process.

Obviously this kills all idle in transaction processes, of which some may be genuinely waiting.

The best idea would be to see where your idle transactions are coming from, and work out why they’re being left idle and not disconnecting (ie. In your app/s.)  Better to find the cause of the problem than try and patch it.

A “ps auxwww|grep postgres” will show you the host of the connection, the DB it’s connect to and the user (as long as this is enabled in your PG config.)

Andy

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Chris Hoover
Sent: 10 May 2006 12:30 am
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Terminating Idle Connections

Is there a way inside of Postgresql to automatically terminate idle connections?  I would like to terminate any connection to my database that has not has any activity for a specified period of time.  I would like to be able to do this despite the state of the connection (the majority of my truly idle connections show "idle in transaction" in the process table).  I would love for the db engine to do this, but if it can't, is there an easy way to do this outside the database with some sort of script?

If this is not possible, would there be a possibility of it being added to a future version?

thanks,

Chris

RH 4.0 AS
PostgreSQL 8.1.3 !DSPAM:14,4461265534491787116627!