Re: intarray internals

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: intarray internals
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 05:38:24PM +0300, Volkan YAZICI wrote:
> > Well, it's probably trying to undo whatever g_int_compress. If you can
> > explain the algorithm used it will probably be clearer.
>
> Actually, algorithms used in the g_int_compress() and g_int_decompress()
> methods are quite awesome. (I don't know if this is the authors'
> creation, but if so, kudos.) But the problem I think is they're quite
> lossy compression methods. To clarify, here's a small explanation of
> algorithm used (if I understood right):

Well, you're right, the algorithm is quite neat. Note however that it's
only applied for integer sets with more than 100 values. I don't know
much about the intarray code, but this is a compression algorithm that
probably maps well to the domain. If you can find a lossless one that
will take 1,000 elements and can cram them into the space of 100
losslessly, we'd be glad to hear it.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Вложения