Re: Replicating PostgreSQL DB to lightweight system

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Replicating PostgreSQL DB to lightweight system
Дата
Re: Replicating PostgreSQL DB to lightweight system  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 03, 2006 at 02:31:19AM +0000, pgdb wrote:
> Hi,

> like to know if I can replicate a PG db to another lightweight
> platform like SQLite?  The objective is to "push" updates to remote
> devices(laptops, PDAs etc) from a central server, so that the data
> can be used offline.  These devices  are not expected to modify any
> data, accessing them thru' the small-footprint db system.

If they're big enough, you could use Slony and PostgreSQL on the
devices, which has the nice property of disallowing any attempts at
writing.

> Would be glad to hear if there are examples of existing
> commercial/OSS products to serve the purpose.

If you're not using PostgreSQL for the smaller systems, you might be
able to rig something up with pg_dump using the --inserts option.  The
tough part will probably be getting the schema translated into SQLite
(or whatever system you choose) idiom.

You might also consider DBI-Link, but I'm pretty sure that's not a fit
for this case.

> Appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

In future, please post in plain text, as many of us have trouble
reading HTML ;)

Cheers,
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
>                            Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!