Re: Anyone install 8.1 on Debian Stable?

От Gavin Hamill
Тема Re: Anyone install 8.1 on Debian Stable?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 10:06:12 -0700
Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> wrote

> Ok.  So as someone that tried to understand pinning once and gave up,
> do you pin the packages or use:
>
>     apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql
>
> method?

As per the instructions on the site - you use both :) .. add the stanza
to /etc/apt/preferences, add the magic line to /etc/apt/sources.list,
then run a command similar to the above (more likely you'll want

apt-get -t sarge-backports install postgresql-8.1 libpg-perl

> I guess it's in the docs, but how do you use psql with both versions?

psql for both 7.x and 8.1 will use version 3 of the libpq API, so
there's no issue like with mysql 4.0 versus 4.1's new auth system.

You can have 7.x and 8.1 installed and running at the same time, but is
there much point in keeping 7.x running thesedays?

> And I assume I'll need to rebuild DBD::Pg -- and any tricks getting

No rebuilding should be necessary for the same reasons above -
however if you do need to build something, grab
postgresql-server-dev-8.1 :)

gdh