Re: concurrent transactions inside the same connection

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: concurrent transactions inside the same connection
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 12:31:23PM +0300, Adrian Maier wrote:
> Hello hackers,
>
> I have included below a fragment of a discussion from the freepascal mailing
> list.  Apparently, some folks expect to be able to start multiple transactions
> inside the *same* database connection. Since this is not possible in postgres,
> they would be forced to start more connections from the same application.
>
> Is such a feature possible to be implemented someday ?

It's not clear what the use case is. Given the original problem was
excised from the email it's not clear what they're trying to solve.
Transactions can "nest", sort of.

> My feeling is that this is a false problem, caused by some interbase/firebird
> or delphi habits .   But ... the poster claims that Oracle and SqlServer
> have such a feature   ( Oracle has 'named' transactions - but these
> names seem to be just labels )  - is this true ?

I beleive oracle can have independant subtransactions. That's something
different from several concurrent transaction though. I'm not oracle
expert though.

Have a nice day,