Re: inet value validation

От Andreas Kretschmer
Тема Re: inet value validation
Дата
Список pgsql-general
pgsql-general@list.coretech.ro <pgsql-general@list.coretech.ro> schrieb:

> hello,
>
> I want to write a function to validate an inet data type, but I figure that
> postgres should already have such a function to use before inserting values
> in inet type columns.
> is it possible to access postgres's validation function for inet types ? I
> have snooped through the catalogs but I can not find such a function.

You can try to cast a string into inet like this:

test=# select '127.0.0.255'::inet;
    inet
-------------
 127.0.0.255
(1 row)

test=# select '127.0.0.256'::inet;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type inet: "127.0.0.256"

Now you can write a little function to do this:

,----[  a little function  ]
| create or replace function check_ip(varchar) returns bool as $$
| declare
|         i inet;
| begin
|         i := $1::inet;
|         return 't'::bool;
|         EXCEPTION WHEN invalid_text_representation then
|                 return 'f'::bool;
| end;
| $$ language plpgsql immutable strict;
`----

You can use this function now inside a transaction.

HTH, Andreas
"If I was god, I would recompile penguin with --enable-fly."    (unknow)