Re: 21 bit number for sequence

От Christian Kratzer
Тема Re: 21 bit number for sequence
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Shoaib Mir wrote:

> Actually that is the application requirment to use 21 bit numbers as porting
> it from Oracle where it used to work.

21 bits are no problem as bigints have 64 bits.  If you mean decimal
digits please explicitly say so. A bit is a binary digit.

> Yeah now i have decided to use a numeric data type in a table and use that
> to write my own nextval and currval functions for that purpose.

you could also try to fix you application which most certainly is
severly broken if it tries to store specific numbers in a sequence.

Greetings
Christian

--
Christian Kratzer                       ck@cksoft.de