Re: Autovacuum ideas

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Autovacuum ideas
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Chris Hoover wrote:
> This is what we are doing today (except we are on Linux :) ).  However,
> since there is talk of making autovacuum on by default and the advantages of
> having it run, it would be nice to be able to block out hours that it can
> not run.  It would also be very nice to have the database take care of all
> of this via the config file and/or tables.  That way, no external programs
> (cron or what ever) would be needed.
>
> Even nicer would be to have the time exclusion granular enough to be table
> to exclude only certain tables.  That way autovacuum can do it's work as
> needed on the majority of the tables, but tables that the DBA knows will
> cause problems during business hours could be excluded until the slow time.
>
> Any comments on this?

I don't think autovacuum will be on by default until we have a way to
configure rush hours, maintenance windows, etc.

The system I envision has tables grouped in some way, and maintenance
windows would operate on table groups.  For example you will be able to
include the fat table in a (possibly otherwise empty) group, and have
that group not be processed during "work hours"; the rest of the tables
would continue to be vacuumed at all times.