Re: Strange syntax for create/drop index

От Haris Peco
Тема Re: Strange syntax for create/drop index
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Michael,

  Thank you for answer, but you don't understand me
I understood syntax and reason for this, but why postgreSQL doesn't accept this :

create index test.test_name on test.test(name)

  schema prefix in 'create index'

I know that it isn't necessary, because postgreSQL know that index is (must be)
 in table's schema, but this is natural for sql writers

I expect that 'create ...' and 'drop ...' allow/request/don't accept schema prefix on same way

Thanks
Peco

On Sunday 09 April 2006 02:08 am, Michael Glaesemann wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2006, at 12:56 , Haris Peco wrote:
>
> > 'drop index' request schema prefix, but 'create index' doesn't
> > accept schema prefix
>
> Currently indexes must be in the same schema as the table they index,
> so no schema is accepted for CREATE INDEX. Indeed, the documentation
> for CREATE INDEX describes the name parameter so:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/sql-
> createindex.html#AEN42146
>
> > name
> >
> >     The name of the index to be created. No schema name can be
> > included here; the index is always created in the same schema as
> > its parent table.
>
> However, you could have two or more indexes with the same name, but
> in different schemas, so you need to be able to schema-qualify an
> index when you drop it, so DROP INDEX accepts a schema-qualified name.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Michael Glaesemann
> grzm myrealbox com

Сообщение: Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module
Сообщение: Re: Debian package for freeradius_postgresql module