Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.

От Gavin Hamill
Тема Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:16:02 -0400
"D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy@druid.net> wrote:

> We also had problems with a high end AIX system and we got no help
> from IBM.  They expected you to put Oracle on and if you used
> anything else you were on your own.

Urk, I thought IBM were supposedly Linux sycophants thesedays...

> We had exactly the same issue.
> We expected to get an order of magnitude improvement and instead the
> app bogged down.

That's kind of encouraging, I suppose - that it might not be something
mind-bogglingly stupid I'm doing.

> It also got worse over time.  We had to reboot every
> night to get anything out of it.  Needless to say, they got their
> system back.

<nod>

> That's Seneca.

Oops - meant to check the spelling before I sent that =)

> We found that our money was better spent on multiple servers running
> NetBSD with a home grown multi-master replication system.  Need more
> power?  Just add more servers.

Aye, I originally suggested multiple servers, but was talked round to
one giant db so that our devels didn't have to rewrite code to deal
with read/write + read-only db handles...

Cheers,
Gavin.

Сообщение: Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.
Сообщение: Re: pg 8.1.3, AIX, huge box, painfully slow.