Re: Show tables query

От Andy Shellam
Тема Re: Show tables query
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Thanks Rajesh,

That's always a risk anyway with anything - hence where upgrade testing
comes in ;-)
I'll probably go this way if I do indeed have this need still - it was only
a preliminary thought process, I just thought I'd ask the question.

Thanks

Andy

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Sent: Sunday, 02 April, 2006 4:32 pm
To: andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk
Cc: Christopher Browne; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Show tables query

On 4/2/06, Andy Shellam <andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk> wrote:
> > After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, andy.shellam@mailnetwork.co.uk
> ("Andy Shellam") belched out:
> >> Is there an SQL command supported by Postgres to return a list of
tables
> in a database?
>
> Sorry, did I say something wrong? I thought it was a perfectly valid
> question actually.  The application in mind is going to be run exclusively
> on Postgres,
>
> so I'm not overly fussed over standards - I just wanted a quick
> win, of which Grega's SQL gave it me perfectly - tables only, nothing else
> included.

 the information_schema approach is still better than querying
 the system catalogs. The system catalogs are internal to postgresql
 what if future  versions of postgresql change the sys catalogs dramatically
?
(your app breaks!)

 information_schema is the standard which are more likely to behave
 the same in all versions of pgsql becoz they are(currently) views on
 the sys catalogs.

 Regds
 Rajesh Kumar Mallah.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend