Re: FAQ 1.1

От karly@kipshouse.org
Тема Re: FAQ 1.1
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On  Tue, 28 Mar 2006 12:14:28 +1000 Klint Gore <kg@kgb.une.edu.au> wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:10:15 +0930 (CST), Michael Talbot-Wilson <mtw@view.net.au> wrote:
> > How, really, do people pronounce PostgreSQL?
>
> we just use postgres.

Post Gress is what I've heard also.

> > They say that SQL should be pronounced "Sequel" and I've even met
> > people who do that.
>
> I hate that.  It's an acronym not a word - you say the letters.

Uh, an acronym _is_ a word.  That's the definition.  (NASA, WAC,
RADAR, etc.)  If it's pronounced as a list of letters, then it's not really
an acronym, even though it is in common usage (cf. TLA, ETLA, etc.)

Though after reading the Wiki on TLA, I see that we languaage
purists have tried to reclaim acronym by retrofitting the
definition of TLA to be three letter _abbreviation_.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tla

Sorry for the digression.  {-;

-karl