Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: Advantages of PostgreSQL over MySQL 5.0
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Saturday 25 March 2006 08:30, Leif Jensen wrote:
>    Hello,
>
>   I have with great interrest been following this thread. We have a
> (small) flame war in house about this and I'm very happy about all the
> arguments I have seen. I'm a long time user of PostgreSQL (which possibly
> makes me a bit biased ;-) ) and I think it's great. I'm not a big database
> expert, but I try to make things as good and standard as I can.
>
>   In this respect I have 3 questions:
>
> 1) I wonder that no one has mentioned anything about security issues in
> those two. I know that I'm a novice and that I didn't use MySql very much,
> but it seems to me that the PostgreSQL security is much better than MySql
> !?

mysql's various user permissions / connection tables are often seen as being
more featurefull than postgresql pg_hba system, due to its closer likeness to
using sql, potentially simpler syntax, and ability to use remote admin tools.
That said some people also consider the mysql system an abomination, and much
proffer the internal user/group management you cando with sql compliant roles
that postgresql has. I think generally it is a wash, but the one important
point I think is that alot of mysql installation run as root, so any exploits
mysql has are potentially root level, which is something you don't have to
worry about in postgresql. This is more of a culture thing though than an
actual software issue.

> 3) We are using mambo (the homepage management system), which is based on
> MySql. I would love to make it use PostgreSQL instead (to ease
> maintenance, backup, administration, etc.) Does anyone know where to get
> help/info on this ?

Are you using mambo proper or possibly joomla?  I think the Mambo developers
may be anti-postgresql, but Joomla should have decent postgresql support,
with the main person behind that being Mitch Pirtle of JamboWorks.  You might
want to track him down.

--
Robert Treat