New database: SQL_ASCII vs UTF-8 trade-offs

От ow
Тема New database: SQL_ASCII vs UTF-8 trade-offs
Дата
Re: New database: SQL_ASCII vs UTF-8 trade-offs  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-admin
"PostgreSQL 8.1.0 on i486-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC cc (GCC) 4.0.3 20051111
(prerelease) (Debian 4.0.2-4)"

Hi,

Am having some doubts whether a new db should be with SQL_ASCII or UTF-8
encoding. We expect ALL of our data to be ASCII. At the same time, I guess,
it's possible that some user may decide to get creative and enter, for example,
his own name with non-ASCII chars.

So, it seems that UTF-8 would be a better choise even if we plan to store only
ASCII data (a lot of ASCII data though).

Are there any negative effects related to the selection of UTF-8 over SQL_ASCII
(e.g. size of the database, sort/like/group issues, etc)?

Thanks in advance