Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 09:39:59AM -0500, Mark Woodward wrote:
> It isn't just "an" environment variable, it is a number of variables and a
> mechanism. Besides, "profile," from an admin's perspective, is for
> managing users, not databases.

Sure, you need to control the user, group, placement of logfile and
several other things.

<snip>

> I think Chris said it right, I don't want to make policy, I would to
> provide functionality. I know my service environment is not unique, and so
> what if it is only about 10% (or less) of the PostgreSQL users? There is a
> need for this, and it is a valuable "enterprise" level feature. DB admins
> will recognize and use this feature. It makes a lot of sense if you stand
> back and think of the admin process instead of the core database.

How is any of this different from the way Debian handles multiple
simultaneous clusters? Is there any particular reason you couldn't use
it or a variation thereof (other than that it enforces a particular
policy, namely debian's)? The source is available [1] and a quick
demonstration was posted [2].

In any case, nothing stops anyone from starting a project on
pgfoundary. Nothing convinces people quite like working code. Since
-core seems uninterested, I think this would be the best way to go.

Have a nice day,

[1] http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/postgresql-common/postgresql-common_43.tar.gz
[2] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-02/msg00942.php