Re: how to use PostGIS with Postgres

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: how to use PostGIS with Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Feb 23, 2006 at 01:54:06PM -0500, Yantao Shi wrote:
> We have PostGIS 1.1.1 installed  and I am trying to get it to work with
> Postgres8.1.1 on our system.
>
> Could some one give me a small sample script that lets me connect to
> postgis from Postgres?

PostGIS is a third-party extension to PostgreSQL; it's a set of
data types, functions, and operators that you load into PostgreSQL
and then use with ordinary SQL.  It also has command-line programs
for importing and exporting ESRI Shapefile data.  See the PostGIS
documentation for installation instructions and usage examples:

http://postgis.refractions.net/docs/

I'd recommend subscribing to the postgis-users mailing list in
addition to the PostgreSQL lists.  The PostgreSQL lists are good
for general help with the database, but the PostGIS list is better
if you have PostGIS-specific questions.