Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for

От Marc G. Fournier
Тема Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> On my Debian systems, I can install PostgreSQL quite readily via the
>> command "apt-get install postgresql-8.1", which can get GUIed at least
>> somewhat if I run aptitude, synaptic, or such...
>>
> Yes Christopher, you can... I can, and Devrim can....
>
> As more and more people come on board people are going to want to download a
> .exe (a metaphor),
> double click and have it open an installer, they will then want to click
> next, next, continue, finish.
>
> You don't get that with apt-get install.
>
> There is a reason that even Oracle has a graphical installer on Linux,
> because most people installing
> the software:
>
> A. Don't know how to use it
> B. Probably don't know how to use Linux
> C. Don't want to.

i can't agree more ... I don't care whether you are running FreeBSD or
Linux or Solaris ... if you want broader adoption of non-Microsoft OSs,
you have to make it simplier for 'the masses' to make use of ... and GUIs
tend to follow KISS very closely ...

----

Сообщение: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for
Сообщение: Re: New project launched : PostgreSQL GUI Installer for