Re: Distributed database with postgres

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Distributed database with postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 03:46:25PM +0100, Juan Miguel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First of all, sorry about my english. I'm searching a tool for
> implementing a distributed DB in postgres. I've found "pgreplicator"
> (http://pgreplicator.sourceforge.net/). I figure out that the last
> revision of the project was in 2001, and I don't know if the project
> goes on.
>
> I have not tested pgreplicator yet, but I would know what do you think
> about this software (if you know it) or other ones that give you the way
> for mounting a distributed DB.
>
> I have found Slony, but it is a master / slave replication system, and I
> think it cannot works as a pure distributed DB.
>
> By other way, what do you think about the state of the distributed DB
> tools for postgres ?
> What distributed DB tools for postgres exist ?
> Are matures ?
> What are their fails ?

Currently your only options for multi-master OSS replication are all
based on query replication, which has some very serious drawbacks (ie:
how do you deal with now()).

Your best bet is probably to wait for Slony-2; it sounds like it's
pretty much exactly what you'd want, unless you need to support remote,
disconnected clients, which I don't think it will handle well.