Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist

От Frank van Vugt
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Top 10 Wishlist
Дата
Список pgsql-general
L.S.

I was afraid something like this would happen ;)

Just to be clear on the matter, the wrong post was just part of a conversation
between the OP and I. We are not exactly strangers and there was no
intentional nor accidential bad advice intended ;)

For the record I'll repeat on the list that the OP should also note the
mailinglist archive on the matter (both the column position in a select as
well as fiddling with attnum), since the original discussion has been one
that repeated periodically.

> Just to avoid anyone getting strange ideas: editting the catalog
> manually has a 100% certainty of trashing any data in the table.

Well, a good chance, anyway ;)

> Also various things like indexes and foreign keys may use the attnum also
> and become non-functional

Absolutely true.

>  It's entirely possible that on an empty table with nothing attached that
>  changing attnum manually might work, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Me neither, since I haven't tried that in a while too (the OP was already
aware of this).

Anyway, it's just a good thing people are paying attention around here ;)

--
Best,

Frank.