Re: preventing deadlocks

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: preventing deadlocks
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I'm not really sure What Bruno answered that you didn't ask, but I'll
mention that anything you try here other than doing inserts and deletes
from your trigger is flat out going to perform poorly due to locking.
Plus, as you discovered, deadlocking will be a major issue, unless you
establish a table-level lock on your count table at the begining of the
transaction.

Personally, I'd just put the effort into setting up the insert/delete
stuff and a means to periodically roll that info up into a summary
table. I know that this has come up in the past, so you can probably
find someone else who's already done this and might be able to provide
you with code. Even if you have to write it from scratch, I doubt it's
more work than what you've already put into trying to get the other
scheme to work.

BTW, there is a desire to be able to store some kind of visibility info
in a manner which could be used by indexes; that might allow your select
count(*)'s to perform adequately without maintaining a seperate summary
table.