Re: Overriding the optimizer

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Overriding the optimizer
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 04:16:58PM +1300, Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Craig A. James wrote:
>

> >What would be cool would be some way the developer could alter the plan,
> >but they way of doing so would strongly encourage the developer to send
> >the information to this mailing list.  Postgres would essentially say,
> >"Ok, you can do that, but we want to know why!"
> >

> Yeah it would - an implementation I have seen that I like is where the
> developer can supply the *entire* execution plan with a query. This is
> complex enough to make casual use unlikely :-), but provides the ability
> to try out other plans, and also fix that vital query that must run
> today.....

Being able to specify an exact plan would also provide for query plan
stability; something that is critically important in certain
applications. If you have to meet a specific response time requirement
for a query, you can't afford to have the optimizer suddenly decide that
some other plan might be faster when in fact it's much slower.