using pgdb and python

От David Bear
Тема using pgdb and python
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I am using python to collect data and insert it into postgresql. I am
hoping there will be someone on this list that has used python for
this becuase all the books and documentation on the subject seem
sparse.

I am using pgdb. I know psycpg is also a DBI compliant interface for
postgresql. If there is a recommendation as to which one is better,
I'd like to hear it. (better for me now means that it has better
documentation, sample code, etc.)

I am constructing a sql insert statement (parameterized) and would
like to catch meaningfull exceptions like, keyviolation (on the
insert) or other postgresql exceptions that might happen. So far the
only exception I see from pgdb when I do a full traceback and anlyze
that. What I would like is something like

try:
   cursor.execute(sql, parameters)
except KeyViolation:

except DataConversionError:

 and such like.

I would really appreciate any pointers you might have on using python
with postgresql.

thanks.

--
David Bear