Re: initdb fails

От Anne M. Hammond
Тема Re: initdb fails
Дата
Re: initdb fails
Список pgsql-admin
I used a workstation where /usr/local/pgsql was mounted, and
which had a larger SHMMAX.  initdb worked there.

Then I returned to the server, edited /usr/local/pgsql/data/pgsql.conf
for smaller sizes than the default shared_buffers and max_connections.

Thanks to Pandu and Tom Lane for the following links which describe
in detail the various configuration options:

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/kernel-resources.html

However, when the server SHMMAX is smaller than the size required
by the defaults for shared_buffers and max_connections, I have
not been able to find a way (other than the above), to tell
initdb to use a nondefault values.  If this is possible, it
should be documented.  The conf file is in the data
directory--initdb will not init if there are existing files
in that directory.

I am doing this for a class where there initially will be only
one connection; and it's not possible to reboot the server at this
time.  So I realize my solution is a suboptimal configuration,
but would like to get it up and working.

If there is another way to do this, such as command line options
or environmental values for initdb, I haven't found it.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Anne