Re: Xeon vs Opteron - second revision - tests and questions

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Xeon vs Opteron - second revision - tests and questions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 08:26:41PM +0100, Marcin Giedz wrote:
> Tom Lane napisa?(a):
>
> >Marcin Giedz <marcin.giedz@eulerhermes.pl> writes:
> >

> >>However I still can see 'spikey' performance but  not as much as  before
> >>changes.  What can I do  more to  eliminate or smooth these spikes?
> >>

> >The spikes are certainly caused by checkpoints.  You can fool with the
> >checkpoint timing via checkpoint_segments and checkpoint_timeout.
> >

> I didn't mention before  but I changed checkpoint_segments to 300 but no
> checkpoint_time.  Disk space doesn't matter at all ... time to
> recovery.... shouldn't be very long (I don't have much experiences with
> this as I do online backup every day). Can anyone please tell me what
> values of these two parametres are reasonable?

What Tom was refering to about 'time to recovery' is recovering from an
unexpected database shutdown by replaying the WAL. If you go 5 minutes
between syncing WAL to the mainline storage, then a worst-case recovery
will take ~5 minutes (well, it could probably take longer, but it should
be a linear relationship). The longer you make checkpoint interval, the
longer you'll have to wait for the database to come back.