Re: [GENERAL] binary timestamp conversion

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: [GENERAL] binary timestamp conversion
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces
On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 05:04:35PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> H Hale <hhale21@yahoo.com> writes:
> > I save 1970-01-01 00:00:00 and read it back expecting
> > the difference between postgres and unix epochs but
> > get different results each time.
>
> > (After conversion to host byte order).
>
> Sounds to me like you're picking up garbage rather than the data you
> should.

Dunno if this is significant, but the garbage appears to be confined
to the lower 32 bits, at least in the three examples given:

test=> select val, to_hex(val) from foo;      val        |      to_hex
------------------+-------------------946686612744257 | fffca2fe58bbd7bf-946684195712577 |
fffca2fee8ccd1bf-946684196834881| fffca2fee8bbb1bf

> Does your code to fetch the binary value produce correct answers
> on an ordinary int8 column?

Could we see the code?  A minimal but complete program that somebody
else could compile and run might be revealing.

--
Michael Fuhr