Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 07 October 2005 04:22, Andrus wrote:
> > PostgreSQL does not run in Windows 98
> > You can run PostgreSQL on Cygwin on Win98, I think.
> > But ifyou're running your database server on win98, you obviously don't
> care much about your data :)
>
> My goal is to allow my application demo, trial and development versions to
> run in every Windows.
> If customer is not able to run even demo, he will not add data to take care
> of. So running in Windows 98 is more important than taking a much care
> about data in this case.
> So I must add both native and cygwin versions and cygwin intallation to my
> application setup and maintain cygwin and postgres-cygwin versions. A huge
> meaningless work.
> Do you think that this is more reasonable than using Firebird ?

Just depends on how well your application code will work with firebird, but
I'd certainly cut you some slack that it's a good reason to look around.
Since this sounds more like a single use application database you might want
to look at sqlite.  It's install requires zero configuration and it's public
domain software so you don't have any licensing issues and afaik it runs on
win98 with no problems.

> Apache runs well in Windows 98. Why this is so difficult in native Windows
> Postgres?

You have to realize that the complexity of a RDBMS is worlds above that of a
simple webserver right?  More to the point, PostgreSQL makes use of some
elements of NTFS which is not supported by win98.  To be honest, I believe
you could hack things to get around this, but it's probably not worth the
effort / possible stability issues.

--
Robert Treat

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?