Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 01:19:33PM -0600, Aly S.P Dharshi wrote:
> Okay that is a fair statement to make, hence restating:
>
> - What is the status of those items listed on the PostgreSQL gotchas

Some of them are for sure gotchas.  For users of
tranditionally-non-toy (as opposed to recently-non-toy) systems, I'd
think that there are three serious issues: the column alias
(because it strictly violates the SQL definition), the folding to
lower case (same reason), and the UNICODE==UTF-8 issue (because it
violates the UNICODE definition).

> - Are they valid statements ?
> - If they are bugs are they resolved ?

Some of them are valid and resolved (the site actually notes as much
in many cases).

One thing I do note is that there's a workaround for the have-to-dump
issue: you can use Slony to upgrade (by design).  It won't work for
everyone, but it's a big step up in many cases.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
"The year's penultimate month" is not in truth a good way of saying
November.
        --H.W. Fowler

Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 8.1 vs. MySQL 5.0?