Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От David Fetter
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 12:07:12PM -0600, Aly S.P Dharshi wrote:
> http://sql-info.de/postgresql/postgres-gotchas.html
>
> Any comments from folks on the list ?

Several.

First, it looks to me like this is a pretty transparent attempt to
troll, so I'm not going to go there.

Second, if you actually go through that list, you find:

* Problems fixed in the last version or three of PostgreSQL.  This is
  an incentive to upgrade, not a gotcha.

* Problems that will be fixed in the next version of PostgreSQL.
  This means that problems get on developers' radar and get fixed.  I
  suppose by some extremely un-generous method of assessment, this
  could be a gotcha.

* Incomplete information, e.g. not mentioning Slony-I as an upgrade
  path.

* One deviation from the standard that won't be changed: fold-to-lower.

* Nits so minor as not to be worth addressing (non-optional AS in FROM
  clauses vs. SQL standard's making that AS optional there)

Third, there are real gotchas, but those are generally reported as
bugs on pgsql-bugs and acted upon as such.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!