Re: Problem with libpq3 & postgresql8

От Michael Fuhr
Тема Re: Problem with libpq3 & postgresql8
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:18:33PM +0300, Devrim GUNDUZ wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Sep 2005, Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> >I have a client program which worked ok, using libpq3 agains a 7.4
> >database. Both linux versions. The client and server are in separate
> >machines connecting via TCP/IP.
> >
> >I've just updated the database to 8.0, and the client program now can't
> >connect. There's no error message, it simply gets stuck when doing the
> >connection call and remains so indefinitely.
> >
> >Is this a known incompatibility? If not, any suggestions on what to try?
>
> libpq version was changed in 8.0.2.
>
> If you are using Red Hat / Fedora Core, install this package to solve the
> problem:

While it's a good idea to upgrade the libraries to match the server,
a 7.4 libpq should nevertheless be able to connect to an 8.0 server
(unless the server demands a client certificate, in which case the
connection should fail instead of hanging).  What's your theory
about why the 7.4 library is hanging on the connection attempt?

Alex, are you sure it's the connection call that's stuck?  Have you
used a debugger or added print statements immediately before and
after the connection attempt?  Have you done a process trace or
network sniff to see what's happening when the program hangs?

--
Michael Fuhr