Re: back references using regex

От Matthew Peter
Тема Re: back references using regex
Дата
Re: back references using regex  (Michael Fuhr <mike@fuhr.org>)
Список pgsql-general
I knew I should never have said Python. I know regular
expressions, just not how postgresql handles them. The
fact of the matter is I don't want to use Python, it
was an example of the functionality I'm interested in
accomplishing with pgsql. Plus, I would like to use
other regex's once I figure out how they are used.

I only need a regular expression in the substring of a
where cluase. Not entire language support for a single
function.

It's not a complex regex as I have wrote one that does
what I want, yet not at the database level. The docs
didn't help clarify anything. I'm still not clear on
how it determines where the back reference comes from
in the previous example you gave. And why digits
wouldn't work.

I would like a basic example that accomplishes what
I'm trying to do if at all possible?

My original message/problem...

What I basically want to do is have a slice function
like Python, where I can slice out items from a \s, \.
or \n\n separated list. Where I'll just change the
delimiter for the query that it applies.

Where I could start it at a certain point and end it
at another. Like slicing out paragraph 3-6 (delimiter
\n\n) or the 2nd-6th sentence in a article (delimiter
\.). That is what I am trying to do. I know if I can
figure how to get that working I can figure out how to
deal with extending it/handling misc. characters/etc
in pgsql. I only need a working vanilla example.
Thanks for all your help.